Resource Planning Engineer
Location: Hicksville, New York US
Job Number: 485
Requisition ID: 64388
Job Function/Category: Power Markets
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy. Job Summary
Under the direction of the Manager of Resource Planning this position is responsible for developing plans for the reliable, economic and environmentally acceptable performance of the electric supply system on Long Island.
This position has a career path which provides for promotional opportunities within and across grades as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
This is a multi-level growth series position, the title, grade level and incentive target assigned to the successful candidate will be determined by assessing skills and related experience, learned through the interview process.
If an internal candidate is selected they will move laterally at their current grade level and will not be eligible for a promotion at the time of accepting this position. This applies to candidates moving within the same career path (e.g., analyst, supervisor, engineer), or to a different career path (e.g., analyst to engineer, supervisor to analyst). The selected candidate will have an opportunity to be promoted within the career path during an annual review.
• Maintain production cost, reliability, capacity, and proprietary models with up-to-date market and internal system information to ensure model accuracy.
• Analyze costs and performance of the existing electric system as well as future generation, transmission and power purchase proposals as part of the least cost resource planning process.
• Develop short and long term fuel and purchase power budget for Long Island Power Authority (LIPA).
• Provide assistance to LIPA in determining the viability of different generation and transmission projects.
• Develop long range forecast that includes zonal and nodal power prices, generation fuel consumption, emissions output, congestion cost, renewable generation/curtailment and other power marketing information to support projects and other departments.
• Lead projects from development to presentation of findings to peers and management based on detailed modeling results.
• Research and analyze new public policies, conceptual ideas, generation technologies, and modeling methods and present findings.
• Interface with other company departments and LIPA, as well as represent the company on various regional working groups, task forces and regulatory proceedings.
This position is accountable for selection, prioritization, and economic justifications of LIPA's resource expansion plans. The results of this have a significant impact on the overall operation and performance of the power system as well as have a great economic and financial effect on PSEG Long Island, LIPA and Long Island ratepayers.
Job Specific Qualifications
Required skills, knowledge and competencies
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or Master's in Electrical Engineering.
• Familiarity with engineering economics fundamentals necessary to evaluate alternative system proposals is preferred for entry-level; increased level of knowledge is required for higher grades.
• Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to travel to attend meetings on and off Long Island is required.
Desired skills, knowledge and competencies
• MBA or PE License.
• Experience with production cost modeling software (GE-MAPS, PLEXOS, Promod, GridView, UPlan) and or power flow software (PSSE, PSLF)
• Familiar with Python or similar programming language
• Ability to respond to emergency storm and other conditions requires field work during nights and weekends.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Job Segment: Engineer, Electrical, Compliance, Supply, Testing, Engineering, Legal, Operations, Technology
Job Number: 64388
Community / Marketing Title: Resource Planning Engineer
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hicksville, New York US