1302 Nuclear Equipment Operator
Location: Hancocks Bridge, New Jersey US
Job Number: 445
Requisition ID: 63664
Job Function/Category: Laborers
Employment Type: Non-Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
PSEG is looking to build a talent pipeline of qualified, interested individuals to fill future Nuclear Equipment Operator roles at their Nuclear facilities located in Hancocks, Bridge NJ
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Operates boilers, turbines, generators from isolated panels, and major apparatus associated with reactor operations, performs electrical switching and assists in the operation of the Control Room. Duties are:
1. Operate isolated control panels for high-pressure boilers, reactor support systems, turbines, or generators including start-up, synchronizing, loading, and shut down.
2. Operate auxiliary apparatus such as:
a. Air Compressors
b. Boiler Feedwater Treatment System
c. Generator Hydrogen System
d. Boiler Feedwater and Condensate System
e. Locally controlled electrical and mechanical equipment
f. Radwaste Systems (Salem only)
3. Make operating tests and inspections of Safeguards Equipment as required to comply with Technical Specifications. Make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment assigned to secure proper operating conditions.
4. Maintain proper water levels in condenser hotwells, heaters, boilers and tanks.
5. Execute orders from the Control Operator; receive and execute orders from the Load Dispatcher, Senior Shift Supervisor or Shift Supervisor at isolated panels for clearing equipment or making it ready for service, in accordance with operating instructions and procedures; clear, tag, test, and safety tape these operations.
6. Keep logs as assigned, record periodic instrument readings and verify radiological activity levels as required in the performance of work as directed.
7. Provide on-the-job training to assigned personnel.
8. Assist in the operations in the Control Room.
9. Report any abnormal or irregular conditions that develop during the progress of the work and take corrective measures within the scope of operating instructions.
10. During the shutdown of the unit, assist the maintenance force in a Station Mechanic capacity to the extent of his/her ability.
11. Under direction, operate equipment and tools for nuclear fuel handling during fueling and refueling operations.
12. Test condensers and condensate coolers and plug leaking tubes; clean condenser tube sheet and water boxes, blow condenser tubes with air or flush with water, clear obstructed tubes.
13. Clean fuel oil burners, clean strainers, and change recording instrument charts.
14. Add or change lubricant of auxiliary equipment.
15. Maintain cleanliness of equipment and area assigned.
16. Performs the duties associated with the Site Emergency Plan and the Nuclear Regulatory Requirements within the scope of the Nuclear Equipment Operator duties.
17. Under supervisory direction, prepares and issues tags from the Work Control Center for clearing of equipment and instructions for making it ready for service and fill out tags removed from equipment.
Must meet the Company's "General Requirements" and, in addition:
1. Must successfully complete the Company's Nuclear Equipment Operator 1302 Modular Training Program.
2. Must successfully complete the appropriate Pre-Employment tests except for an employee hired prior to May 1, 1977, who has obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent does not have to complete the Pre-Employment Tests. Those employees hired after May 1, 1996 must successfully complete a Psychological Assessment Profile.
3. Must demonstrate the following:
a. The ability to follow instructions and carry out duties as assigned.
b. An aptitude for operation of Nuclear generating station equipment.
c. Keen faculties of observation.
d. The ability to receive and transmit messages.
4. Must be licensed to operate vehicles in the State of New Jersey.
Preferred Skills: Prior experience working in the nuclear industry. Prior experience operating and handling of equipment, Prior background with maintenance mechanical or electrical systems. Bachelor's degree. Associates degree in the field of Nuclear Technology or Graduate of the U.S. Navy Nuclear Power Program. Ability to follow instructions and carry out duties as assigned; aptitude for operation of nuclear generating station equipment; keen faculties of observation and the ability to receive and transmit messages.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Power Plant Operator, Nuclear, Reactor Operator, Law, Electrical, Energy, Legal, Engineering
Job Number: 63664
Community / Marketing Title: 1302 Nuclear Equipment Operator
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hancocks Bridge, New Jersey US