PSEGLI Electric System Operator
Location: Hicksville, New York US
Job Number: 183
Requisition ID: 56385
Job Function/Category: Transmission and Distribution
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
PSEGLI Transmission Electric System Operator
The Transmission Electric System Operator is the first line supervisor overseeing the real time operation of the LIPA transmission system. This individual continuously monitors the real time operation of the Bulk Electric System in Long Island while adhering to all applicable NERC TOP standards, NPCC guidelines, New York State Reliability Council Rules and NYISO operating procedures. Some of his/her responsibilities include:
• Continuously monitor all pertinent conditions on LIPA systems (transmission flows, system voltage, system load, frequency, etc.), identify actual or potential problems, and determine need for corrective action.
• Respond to actual and potential thermal rating violations on transmission lines and substation equipment (including SOL violations) in accordance with LIPA and NYISO operating procedures and current system conditions.
• Continuously monitor MW output of generating units to ensure that they are following dispatch instructions and responding to NYISO AGC signals. In consultation with the Principal System Operator, take or direct the District Operator to take corrective action as needed.
• Continuously monitor system power flow and contingency analysis results to determine system security under unexpected/emergent conditions, identify potential operating constraints (if any), and direct the District Operator to take appropriate mitigating actions.
• Continuously monitor and manage voltage levels, reactive flows and reactive sources on an actual and contingency basis and determine need for corrective action. This includes pro-actively deploying reactive devices to stay ahead of system voltage during load cycles and ensure appropriate use of dynamic reactive resources.
• Following a severe system disturbance (e.g. loss of multiple generating units and/or interconnections), determine the cause and extent of the disturbance, develop and implement a plan to restore the system to a secure state and complete appropriate notifications.
• Directly supervise the progress of transmission outages, clearance and control processes and switching procedures to ensure all work permits are ready for pick up at scheduled start time and that they are also returned by the scheduled return time. Provide direct leadership, supervision and coaching to District Operators as required.
Preference will be given to applicants that meet at least one of the following three qualifications:
•Four year engineering degree and 2 or more years of experience in the area of system protection, substation maintenance, transmission planning, power systems engineering or operations. • Two year degree and 4 or more years of experience in the area of system protection, substation maintenance, transmission planning, power systems engineering or operations. • Six or more years of experience in a transmission, distribution or generation operating environment.
• Applicant will be required to take an approved work aptitude test by an outside consultant in order to accept this position.
• The successful candidate will be required to prepare for and pass the NERC Transmission Operator Certification exam within one year of accepting the position.
• Must be able to work a rotating 12-hour shift
• The ability to interface with all levels of management is essential
• Verbal communication must be clear, concise and effective. Strong analytical reasoning and logical thinking ability is also essential.
• Knowledge of computer simulation tools such as load flow and unit commitment is desired.
• Tolerance of job stress and pressure is a major contributor to success in the position.
• High energy, drive and work motivation is a necessity.
• Candidates will be expected to gain a thorough understanding of the Rules for Safe Operation, the General Rules for Safe Operation of the Electric Transmission System (OI-20002) and the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Local Union 1049.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
Nearest Major Market: New York City
Job Segment: Engineer, Compliance, Systems Engineer, Power Systems, Engineering, Energy, Legal
Job Number: 56385
Community / Marketing Title: PSEGLI Electric System Operator
Location_formattedLocationLong: Hicksville, New York US