Sr Technology Engineer
Location: Edison, New Jersey US
Job Number: 435
Requisition ID: 61362
Job Function/Category: Information Technology
Employment Type: Exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy. Job Summary
This position is a direct report to the Group Product Manager with understanding of business goals, business processes, technology expertise in one or more domains, technology solution design and implementation. This document is not intended to be all encompassing, and the Company reserves the right to add or modify job responsibilities at its discretion. Employees holding the same job title may perform different duties depending on their specific assignment, including their work location, work group, and client base.
The Technology Engineer is involved in the full technology life cycle and responsible for designing, coding, configuring, testing, implementing and supporting software, hardware and systems. Technology Engineers work closely with Analysts and Product Managers to understand the business requirements that drive the analysis and physical design of technical solutions. Technology Engineers may be assigned to either implementation or support functions. Implementation involves creating new technology based solutions whereas support involves upgrades, maintenance or issue resolution to existing technology solutions.
•Analyzes end-user needs and designs, configures, develops and tests technology solutions to satisfy demand. Performs build versus buy analysis for business demand. The work required may include various levels of complexity and business impact. •Partners with business analysts to translate business requirements to technology solution requirements. •May evaluate existing technology solutions and platforms and provides recommendations for improving technology performance by conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative solutions, and assisting in the scope of needed modifications. •Creates process flowcharts, diagrams, drawings and other related documentation. Creates technical workflows using different modeling techniques. •Collaborates with all stakeholders such as enterprise architects, software development, operations, cybersecurity and infrastructure to integrate applications and hardware. •Ensures that the design and technology solution implementation meets security and QA standards. Suggests fixes to issues by doing a thorough analysis of root cause and impact of any defect(s). •Analyzes various reports to ensure that the functionality and performance meets all product and service level requirements. •Creates technology solutions based on a disciplined process. Works on tasks that require skills in multiple technical environments and knowledge of a specific business area. •Conducts design and change record peer reviews in support of upcoming changes. Peer reviews may be required as part of contractual obligation in cases when the content subject to peer review is completed and submitted by an outside party. •Provides support toward resolution of escalated support tickets. Applies operation break fixes and performs other proactive maintenance activities until permanent solutions can be implemented. Supports and participates in the solution deployment process for new functionality/subsystems/modules, upgrades, updates and fixes to the production environment. •Documents capabilities and any changes to new or existing components and associated test activities and test results. •Makes solutions and solution parts production-ready by following the standard change management processes, completing required forms, following procedures, completing version control documents, etc.
•Design, configuration, development, documentation and testing of technology solutions to meet business or technology requirements. Evaluation of existing technology solutions to determine fit for purpose for the new business or technology requirements. Recommendation of technology alternatives. Collaboration with other individuals to ensure proper integration of the new technology solution with the existing technology solutions. •Analysis of end user needs, business and technology requirements. Translation of these requirements into technology solution capabilities and design. Alternatively, using the user needs, business and technology knowledge to peer review designs, implementation plans, software code, configuration settings or other artifacts to ensure technology solution being created by others meets the user needs, business and technology requirements. •Provides support toward resolution of escalated support tickets. May perform the needed analysis to identify root cause of reported incidents, identify the short and long term remediation for the identified incidents
Job Specific Qualifications
•Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field •6-8 years of professional technology solution engineering •Demonstrated good leadership capabilities through technology solution ownership and adoption, projects or other work experiences. •Good track record of translating business outcomes, business requirements and technical requirements into technical designs for new technology solutions or enhancements to existing technology solutions, while following architectural standards and organizational policies •Good track record of implementing technology solutions using structured methodologies such as agile (SCRUM, Kanban etc.) and waterfall.
• Experience documenting technical solutions or business and system process flow techniques using applicable methods such as engineering drawings, UML (e.g. Use Case Diagrams, Activity Diagrams, Entity Relationship Diagrams) etc.
• Experience supporting IT applications that are used for critical business operations.
• Experience working with application users in identifying system issues, troubleshooting, coordinating with other technology teams and providing timely resolution of issues based on service level agreements with the clients.
• Managing production releases for applications including coordination with business for planning system outages required for application patching and functional enhancements.
• Experience leading a small application support team.
• Proficient in IT change management processes and procedures.
• Experience working on IT Projects using Agile Methodology.
• Ability to create both technical and non-technical end-user documentation.
• Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively.
• Demonstrated understanding of IT applications from the perspective of client/user, business, security and technology operations personnel.
• Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as necessary.
• Strong analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to learn new business and technical concepts.
• Strong oral and written communication skills,
• Good facilitation skills,
• Strong judgment and management skills,
• Leadership, technical teamwork and interpersonal skills,
• Ability to foster working relationships with the team, IT Management and Client departments,
• Understanding of technology architecture, technology platforms and ability to explain technical concepts to the business users in the context of business requirements.
• Ability to define metrics that measure success of the technology solution in addressing business and technical requirements as well as achieving the desired outcomes.
• Graduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or relevant field.
• Experience with public cloud providers
• Experience implementing off the shelf products
• Experience with mission critical technology solutions
• Understanding financial principles as they apply to technology investments such as cost to achieve, cost to operate, depreciation, maintenance etc.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offerAs an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ( http://www.pseg.com ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Engineer, Information Systems, Computer Science, Compliance, Product Manager, Engineering, Technology, Legal, Operations
Job Number: 61362
Community / Marketing Title: Sr Technology Engineer
Location_formattedLocationLong: Edison, New Jersey US